The purpose of the student council is to give the pupils a voice and improve communication between pupils and teachers, the aim is to give them a positive role in school and ensure they are listened to and respected for their ideas and concerns, it involves the pupils in many of the decisions, which are made regarding day to day running and management of the school. Discussions/agendas at council meetings are minuted and put onto the agenda of Senior Management Team (SMT) meetings to be discussed/acted upon at management level. Moreover it helps to develop social and learning skills in many areas such as speaking and listening, problem solving and decision-making.
The role of the Student Council
The main role of a Student Council is to promote the interests of the school and the involvement of students in the affairs of the school, in co-operation with the board, parents and teachers. In light of this the following are some of the key roles and responsibilities.
– To enhance communication between students, management, staff and parents
– To promote an environment conducive to educational and personal development
– To promote friendship and respect among pupils
– To support the management and staff in the development of the school
– To represent the views of the students on matters of general concern to them
The student council discusses and makes decisions regarding:
- School rules
- Anti-bullying approaches
- Care for school building
- Games and activities at lunchtimes and after school
- Behaviour and discipline
- The environment of the school
- Health and safety
- Other relevant matters
Each September the children in their classes elect new members of the student council.
Student Council Representatives in School
Sulaiman Badrur Rahman
|Alhamdulilah I have been elected by my class mates to be the school councillor of year 7. Hopefully I will fulfil all my pledges. I also hope that I will please the school and accomplish many things. My 3 pledges are:
1) To have outdoor break during lunchtimes
2) To develop a transition programme for new year 7’s
3) To increase extra-curricular activities
Md Minhaj Rahman
|Assalaamu Alukum Wa Rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu. I am very grateful for being chosen by my class as a Student Councillor. The 3 pledges I will be striving to achieve inshaAllah are:
1) To make lunch times longer
2) To reduce prices for item sold at lunch and tuckshop times
3) To introduce board games for indoor break areas
|Alhamdulillah. I have been elected by my fellow students in Year 9 to represent them as a Student Councillor. I pray I am able to fulfil their wishes and will work hard to accomplish my 3 pledges:
1) To have more variety in the tuckshop
2) To add more educational/recreational trips
3) Add air conditioning to every room to make it a more holistic place for learning.
Sheikh Masum Mazid
|With the grace of Allah I have been selected as a school councillor for year 10. My 3 priorities to work towards are:
1) To widen the opportunities in after school club.
2) To introduce interactive whiteboards in key classrooms
3) To improve intervention programmes for low ability students
InshaAllah if Allah wills and with your help, we can make these pledges a reality.
Sheikh Akram Mazid
|Praise be to Allah for giving me this wonderful opportunity. As Year 11 Student Councillor I have a responsibility to leave a legacy behind in my final year, so my 3 pledges are as follows:
1) To finish school earlier on Fridays
2) Have a suggestion box in the building for all students to put in their ideas to make the school better.
3) To have the tuckshop completely run by Prefects with profits going towards a prefect trip or charitable cause. May Allah give me the tawfeeq to fulfil these pledges.
Monthly Meeting Dates 2018/19
- Wednesday 26th September 2018
- Wednesday 17th October 2018
- Wednesday 24th November 2018
- Wednesday 12th December 2018
- Wednesday 23rd January 2019
- Wednesday 26th February 2019
- Wednesday 20th March 2019
- Wednesday 24th April 2019
- Wednesday 15th May 2019
- Wednesday 12th June 2019
- Wednesday 10th July 2019
- All meetings will be held at lunch times that day, from 12.45pm – 1.25pm in the Maths Room
- Students will be provided with lunch on the day to make it a working lunch and maximise the time during meetings.
- If required, meetings will be continued on the following Monday
Please Note: The Student Council Meeting will not be accepted as an excuse for not doing homework or class work therefore Student Representatives must complete all missed class work as their homework.
Student Council Achievements
- Introduction of Indoor games. (Table tennis, pool, table football)
- Introduction of a Trip Request form which allows any student council member to request a class trip while undertaking the necessary research so leadership skills are built and the organisation of the trip is less burdensome on teachers.
- Introduction of curtains upstairs to replace the blinds.
- Introduction of cold lollies and ice pops in the tuck shop.
- Uniform – the ideas of options regarding the school thobe/kurta.
- Introduction of Lockers
- The idea of phones being allowed through a phone request form.
- Introduction of hot food being available at lunch times.
- Introduction of the ‘Our Choice Project’, where students raise funds to go towards something of their choice in school.
- Longer Summer Holidays
- Introduction of Art lessons
- Introduction of double P.E lessons
- Introduction of a reward system
- Reduction of the chewing gum fine
- Discipline policy review
- Introduction of swimming in P.E lessons
- Reduction of the Fixed Penalty for attendance and punctuality