The purpose of the student council is to give the pupils a voice and improve communication between pupils and teachers, the aim is to give them a positive role in school and ensure they are listened to and respected for their ideas and concerns, it involves the pupils in many of the decisions, which are made regarding day to day running and management of the school. Discussions/agendas at council meetings are minuted and put onto the agenda of Senior Management Team (SMT) meetings to be discussed/acted upon at management level. Moreover it helps to develop social and learning skills in many areas such as speaking and listening, problem solving and decision-making.
The role of the Student Council
The main role of a Student Council is to promote the interests of the school and the involvement of students in the affairs of the school, in co-operation with the board, parents and teachers. In light of this the following are some of the key roles and responsibilities.
– To enhance communication between students, management, staff and parents
– To promote an environment conducive to educational and personal development
– To promote friendship and respect among pupils
– To support the management and staff in the development of the school
– To represent the views of the students on matters of general concern to them
The student council discusses and makes decisions regarding:
- School rules
- Anti-bullying approaches
- Care for school building
- Games and activities at lunchtimes and after school
- Behaviour and discipline
- The environment of the school
- Health and safety
- Other relevant matters
Each September the children in their classes elect new members of the student council.
Monthly Meeting Dates 2022/23
- Wednesday 5th October 2022
- Wednesday 9th November 2022
- Wednesday 7th December 2022
- Wednesday 11th January 2023
- Wednesday 8th February 2023
- Wednesday 15th March 2023
- Wednesday 19th April 2023
- Wednesday 17th May 2023
- Wednesday 7th June 2023
- Wednesday 5th July 2023
Dates are subject to changes.
- All meetings will be held at lunch times that day, from 12.45pm – 1.25pm in the Maths Room
- Students will be provided with lunch on the day to make it a working lunch and maximise the time during meetings.
- If required, meetings will be continued on the following Wednesday
Please Note: The Student Council Meeting will not be accepted as an excuse for not doing homework or class work therefore Student Representatives must complete all missed class work as their homework.
Student Council Achievements
- Introduction of Indoor games. (Table tennis, pool, table football)
- Introduction of a Trip Request form which allows any student council member to request a class trip while undertaking the necessary research so leadership skills are built and the organisation of the trip is less burdensome on teachers.
- Introduction of curtains upstairs to replace the blinds.
- Introduction of cold lollies and ice pops in the tuck shop.
- Uniform – the ideas of options regarding the school thobe/kurta.
- Introduction of Lockers
- The idea of phones being allowed through a phone request form.
- Introduction of hot food being available at lunch times.
- Introduction of the ‘Our Choice Project’, where students raise funds to go towards something of their choice in school.
- Longer Summer Holidays
- Introduction of Art lessons
- Introduction of double P.E lessons
- Introduction of a reward system
- Reduction of the chewing gum fine
- Discipline policy review
- Introduction of swimming in P.E lessons
- Lunch time break session outside
- Fixed penalty fine for attendance to be per child not parent
- New year 7 transition programme